Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Not interested in eating kibble, but will eat turkey lunch…

Not interested in eating kibble...
Not interested in eating kibble, but will eat turkey lunch meat. Still drinking water too. He is on minocycline due to kennel cough, but I noticed he had some stomach upset while on it. Tonight, his bowel movement was rust colored and wet, but not diarrhea like. It should be noted that he eats Royal Canin Urinary S/O due to being diagnosed with a UTI and bladder crystals in May of this year. Could the minocycline be interfering with his appetite and causing issues with his bowel movement colors?
12/20/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Unfortunately the minocycline can effect appetite and hopefully now that you have stopped the antibiotic it will return swiftly. You can try pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help reduce stomach upset and stimulate appetite. In addition a temporary use of white rice and lean boiled meat for diet in small more frequent meals and once his appetite has returned fully a 24-48 hour return to his regular prescription food

I am not sure if it would cause the change in stool color, it is possible though. Hopefully it will also return to normal with a removal of the medications and the bland diet above

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

We stopped the medication yesterday. We don’t have white rice, but we do have brown rice cooking now. About how long until his appetite returns? Just curious.

It depends on individual pets, typically about 24-48 hours and if it is still not returned then a veterinary visit is warranted to ensure there are no other underlying concerns. The rice should be mixed with a low fat meat to stimulate the appetite but be bland as well and the pepcid 15 minutes prior to attempts to feed can aid in appetite returning

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian