Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our pug has been treated for pneumonia successfully, but…

Customer Question
Our pug has been...

Our pug has been treated for pneumonia successfully, but still has a residual It's not bad, maybe a couple of times a day. Is there a way to just treat the cough?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the pug's name and age?

Raisin, age 14. She has been seen by her vet who is happy with the results of the antibiotics, but the cough still lingers a little.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pug's name?

Raisin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Raisin?

No. She is in great health otherwise.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry that Raisin has been through so much. There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in available

4.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours but may cause mild sedation

Often with pneumonia there is scarring in the lungs that results in a chronic low grade cough. You may need to chat with your veterinarian about a bronchodilator and/ or steroid orally or in an inhalant to minimize the cough further

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad you were able to view my responses. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!