Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How do you keep the dog pound from killing your dog after it…

Customer Question
How do you keep the...
How do you keep the dog pound from killing your dog after it has killed a neighbor's rabbit
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have a question about how to protect your dog from Animal Control Services if he is reported to have killed a neighbor's rabbit. Is that a correct summary of your question?

He has priors as to running at Large I haven't had him neutered I'm willing to I'm willing to do whatever it takes but they pretty much pressure me into surrendering him I didn't want to but I can't afford to pay for a lawyer and court fees and all that I'm a single mom of two handicapped adult children that are confined to wheelchairs it's their dog and they're extremely upset and so am I
I'm afraid because I have already surrendered him that it may be too late

Each state and local government have different requirements of what would be required to surrender a dog. If there is a history besides killing the neighbor's rabbit, then that may require them to act on forcing a surrender. If the neighbor does not report the incident then there will be no consequences. The consequence may be that he is forced to be neutered. That should likely have been a requirement from a previous incident - not sure if they required that from you or not.

If they already have Blue in their possession, then there is nothing preventative you can do to stop the regular proceedings. Getting a lawyer will help you create a defense. Expressing your willingness to have him neutered, your fences secured, and him contained on your property will go further. I am sorry that this is happening to you.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hi Steve Sequeira,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Blue. How is everything going?
***** *****

Just checking in. How is Blue doing?