Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I gave my 9 2 pound female rotweiler my leftover canned

Customer Question
I gave my 9...

I gave my 9 2 pound female rotweiler my leftover canned catfood that my 2 cats didn't finish for years. then I gave the dog to my neighbor and fed the dog through the fence her 2 tablespoons of day old catfood. now the neighbor is complaining that the cat food is bad for the dog. Is it.?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Heidi, 4 years

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry your neighbor is telling you this. Cat food is not bad for dogs. It is higher in fat and protein than dog food, so eating nothing but cat food could cause weight gain, pancreatitis, and in an older dog with kidney disease, it might be too much protein. Feeding a little cat food is not going to make her sick!

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

I have not heard back from you! Was this helpful? Can I answer anything else?