Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have four dogs. They are each coming down with terrible…

Customer Question
I have four dogs. They...
I have four dogs. They are each coming down with terrible diarrhea. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I am a veterinarian here to help answer your questions. Are you available to chat?

Hello?

Did you recently get a new kind of food for them? Or any new treats?

We got new food but that was two months ago? Is there like a stomach flu they could be spreading?

They can definitely share viruses that can cause them to have diarrhea, but it is not influenza like in humans.

The more likely scenario is that one of them picked up a parasite that they are passing between one another.

Are they on monthly heartworm prevention?

No

I ask because the heartworm prevention also takes care of most intestinal parasites. I would recommend to take one of your dogs to the vet with a stool sample to see if there is anything in it. They can get you a deworming medication.

Alternative, I believe you can order Panacur granules online (amazon.com) for them. It should say on the package for their weights how much you give them. I would give them all a dose once daily for 5 consecutive days.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=panacur

If they have intestinal parasites or Giardia, other than tapeworms, this will kill it. If it does not improve it, then I would definitely take them to the vet.

They are pooping all over the place. It’s really gross

Oh my goodness I am so sorry to hear that. I definitely understand how that goes. It will take 24-48 hours for any medication to kick in a stop the diarrhea. In the mean time, you can do a few things that might help quicker:

1. Get a probiotic for them over the counter and put it in their food.

2. Add 1-2 tablespoons pumpkin (canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling) to their foods to help firm up their stool.

3. If it is very bad, you can give them some lomotil. If you get me their weights I can give you a dose for each of them.

Are you still there?

I have the large dog Imodium last night. Is that ok
I have a large 60 pound dog. A 25 pound dog and two little guys 12 and 10 pounds

Yes. that is fine. that is what lomotile is. Typically they get anywhere from 1/4 of a 4 mg tablet to a full 4 mg tablet. how much do your dogs weigh?

So you can give your 60 pound dog 2 mg immodium every 12 hours for a max of 4 doses.

the 25 pounder can get 2 mg as well.

the smaller guys I would only give them 1 mg.

every 12 hours, for max of 4 doses.

this will only help to slow the diarrhea, and will not treat the underlying cause. but might help while you are waiting for other medications to kick in.

Ok. And I have probiotic capsules. Does it matter how much I give the little ones

They can all get 1 probiotic capsule once daily in their food. Does not matter their size.

Ok. Thanks for the help. So they’re not dying?

I don't think so. I would try the dewormer as intestinal parasites will be the most common thing that can cause all 4 to have diarrhea at the same time. The other things would be if they are all getting into something outside. If you do the dewormer and things don't get better, I would definitely take one of them to the vet and have them checked out, potentially even blood work run to make sure there is nothing more serious.

Thanks. Gonna take one to the vet today.

You're welcome. Can I answer anything else for you today ?

I strive for 100% satisfaction. If you feel I have provided this to you, please leave positive feedback. I am always here to answer additional questions. Thank you and have a happy holiday season!

Hello. How are your dogs today?

They have dewormer and antibiotics from the doctor. The pooping has slowed to a normal pace.

That's great news! Let me know if I can do anything else for you.

*********************************************************************************

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service (using the STARS) once you have all the information you need so I can continue to help others on this site. You are still able to ask me questions even after you rate. Thank you!

-Dr. Christina

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian