Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

1 or both of my dogs ate 24 cookies that have a mini reese…

Customer Question
1 or both of...

1 or both of my dogs ate 24 cookies that have a mini reese cup in the center.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Kuma is 3, she's a Catahoula about 40 pounds, Bear is 11, Lab, about 60-70 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kuma?

No, both are super healthy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help you.

Was it milk chocolate in the reese's cups?

Most likely both your dogs will be ok. It is a small amount of chocolate in the reeses cups and if they split it between them, with their weights it is unlikely toxic.

Signs to watch for are excessive panting and restlessness. If you notice this, I would take them to the vet and the vet can get them medications to slow their heart rate down. But I highly doubt with that dose it will cause that problem.

The bigger problem might be stomach upset. So keep an eye on them for any vomiting or diarrhea. If this happens, I would take them to you vet for supportive medications.

I am sorry we were unable to connect today. If you have additional questions, please let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian