Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is wheezing, has a deep chested cough it started on…

Customer Question
My dog is wheezing, has...
My dog is wheezing, has a deep chested cough it started on thurs last week. The week before he was at his vet and received shots.
This past Sat, I noticed some drooling, wetness and dropping from his nose.
He then went to the vet to get it checked which then they prescribed doxycliclinevsnd baytril. I think the intensity of the cough is less and the vet said that they thought he has an upper respiratory condition but didn't say kennel cough.
I also noticed that his symptoms start as he'd exercising or moving around.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Did they complete chest xrays on your dog?

I am curious as to why they prescribed doxycycline and baytril if they did not do chest rads or a CBC?

When I see a patient with a deep cough a CBC ( complete blood count) and a chest xrays is minimum diagnostics that should be done.

This is the only way to rule in or out pneumonia......and Baytril is a heavy hitter antibiotic and should not be prescribed without definite signs of pneumonia IMO...

I would have started with Doxycycline and a tapering course of Prednisone for the cough...

Have I addressed your concerns and do you have any other questions?

do you have any other questions or concerns I can answer for you tonight?

They did not do those tests unfortunately. They just said that if it doesnt subside to bring him back. I dont think I would be interested in putting him on prednisone. I failed to tell you that he was doing a lot of sneezing on Sat and dripping was coming out. You dontbthink it's kennel cough since he was at vet a week prior for shots

So best thing for respiratory cough in dog is prednisone hands down....just a tapered course......without respiratory PCR panel it is not possible to say what is causing the cough.....

I studied under one of the experts in respiratory disease in dogs, Dr Richard Ford ......and Pred and Doxy always best first line unless patient has pneumonia....

There are many respiratory pathogens in dogs. Herpes virus, Influenza,Bordetella, parainfluenza, mycoplasma just to name a few....

This is why deep cough should have CBC and chest rads....

Should I take him back?

How long has he been on his current regimen? and how much has the cough improved?

He saw the vet last Friday. His cough was very loud and more frequent since before his visit. He now coughs occasionally. Tonight he coughed once and wheezed twice. So I think it has improved he has a week of baytril and maybe a week and half of doxy
He's eating playing normally

well, since he has been on those antibiotics that long I would not stop them now due to potential for resistance. Make sure you give the full course.....if he is not 100 % at end of the course, go back and see your vet and make them xray his chest....

Are you suspecting he has pneumonia

I will suspect that if he is not 100% better after end of RX course....

I always check for that when dog has cough that is deeper than a tracheal cough...

Ok I will keep.an eye. Thanks

can I answer any other questions for you tonight?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian