Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

5mnth old puppy at 6 or 7 piece of dark chocolate candy.

Customer Question
5mnth old puppy at...

5mnth old puppy at 6 or 7 piece of dark chocolate candy. What should i do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?

Nothings .... vut heard choclate can kill dogs..so worried that something will happen to her

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?

Doesnt appear to hurt yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian

Hello! As a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you!

Can you tell me about how much this puppy weighs? I will then do a calculation to see how toxic a level she ate and get right back to you

Thank you for your question and please let me know if you need more guidance. Once you are happy with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Best, ***** *****

If you are able to estimate how much chocolate she ate in ounces, that would also be very helpful. Or at least tell me what brand/kind of chocolate she ate?

While I wait for your response, here is some important information:

Whether or not she will have a problem depends on how much of the toxic chemical she was exposed to, i.e., how much she ate relative to her weight. I recommend inducing vomiting to try and get as much of the chocolate out of her system as possible. You can do this by spoon feeding her (or mixing in food if she'll eat it) 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide PER ten pounds of body weight (example, 20 pound dog gets teaspoons).

Chocolate can indeed be very dangerous depending on the dose, and so taking her to an ER vet is a good idea if you are able to. They can help you make her vomit and provide supportive care and and charcoal to help absorb toxin from her system.

The signs you then want to watch for are: increased drinking, diarrhea, bloating of the abdomen, restlessness. This can progress to increased urination, hyperactivity, a fast heart rate (can feel her heart on the left side of his chest or his pulse in his back armpits), increased body temperature, a drunken gait ("ataxia"), tremors/twitching, and seizures.

*If she shows any of these signs she should be taken to a vet immediately*

I hope you find this useful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions! Once you are satisfied with my answer please remember to rate me so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian