Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate some chocolate fudge a coworker of mine gave me. His…

Customer Question
He ate some chocolate...

He ate some chocolate fudge a coworker of mine gave me.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Is this a free service?

Veterinarian's Assistant: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

His name is ***** ***** he's about 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Butch?

He's about 70 lbs

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian

Hello! As a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you!

I am sorry to hear that Butch got into trouble! First I need more information from you to help- how much fudge did Butch eat? Was this milk chocolate fudge or dark chocolate? Thank you!

Once I receive this information from you I will calculate if this is enough chocolate to cause Butch harm.

Once you are happy with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Best, ***** *****

I am not sure on either question. It was probably about 5 to 6 mid sized chunks around 3pm. What are some of the symptoms that I might see if he is poisoned? I read its from 6-12 hrs after they ingest it.

Hmm ok. Whether or not he will have a problem depends on how much of the toxic chemical is in the fudge. Based on his size I suspect he will be just fine with a handful of chunks, but I recommend inducing vomiting to try and get as much of the fudge out of his system as possible. You can do this by spoon feeding him (or mixing in food if he'll eat it) hydrogen peroxide. For his size I would give him 2 tablespoons.

The signs you then want to watch for are: increased drinking, diarrhea, bloating of the abdomen, restlessness. This can progress to increased urination, hyperactivity, a fast heart rate (can feel his heart on the left side of his chest or his pulse in his back armpits), increased body temperature, a drunken gait ("ataxia"), tremors/twitching, and seizures.

*If he shows any of these signs he should be taken to a vet immediately*

If you are concerned, it would not be a bad idea to take him to an ER vet for overnight hospitalization, monitoring, and fluids. They could also give him charcoal, which helps absorb toxin left behind in his GI tract.

I hope you find this useful! Please let me know if you have any additional questions! Once you are satisfied with my answer please remember to rate me so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

And yes, 6-12 hours is the typical timeline, but it can vary based on how much chocolate he ate and the type of chocolate.

That helps me out a bunch! Thank you so much for answering so thoroughly. I don't see any difference in him besides his stomach gurgling a tiny bit. If he does start showing any symptoms I'll take him in right away.

You are very welcome! Let me know how he does and if you need any more guidance feel free to respond again! Good luck! ~Dr. Drea

Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian