Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has just been bitten by a goanna and within the last…

Customer Question
Hi! My dog has...

Hi! My dog has just been bitten by a goanna and within the last half an hour or so it’s started to swell up, not sure what to do as Dad doesn’t want to take him to the vet :(

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

I wouldn’t say a lot, but there’s bit of blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Sam and 3

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He’s 3 years old, an American bulldog.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 2 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years

Goanna bites carry a Bacteria as well as there is a debate whether it actually carries some Venom. WE need to start First aid. Please clean the leg with Betadine and water diluted to a dark colr solution. Betadine is also known as Provodine Iodine. This cleaning will need to be done 4 times a day. I would also like you to soak the leg in Epsoms salts and warm water 4 time s day. Your Dog will need an Antibiotic and should be seen for one in the Vets office. The bacterial infection that can be caued by this bite can go through the whole body if not caught early. The Goaanna bite will cause a lot of bleeding, so you will want to use somecean bandages on the bite.If you can get an Antibiotic ointment I would start application, if not Manuka Honey and bandage the leg and keep a close eye on it. If you can get the dog into the Vet that is the best solution.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech