Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Had a dog pass away Friday suddenly. I have 11 others. Light…

Customer Question
Had a dog pass away...
Had a dog pass away Friday suddenly. I have 11 others. Light bile vomiting. No bloody stools or odor. Youngest refusing to eat. Vet wanted $700 to diagnose. Couldnt afford. Sent home with Cerenia and Ammox. 2 showing same symptoms. Both ate yesterday....bland hamburger. Now today one refusing to eat again. Giving syringe fluids. Plain yogurt....medicine etc....not getting better
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How long ago was the last dosage of cerenia for both of them?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

How old are both dogs?

Can you tell me about their vaccine history?

Not certain about vaccines....rabies for sure. Female that passed was 3. Female showing symptoms now is under 2. Daughter to passed female. Male that is improving is sibling to one that passed.
No change in food. Already threw out distressed toys last Friday. Been disenfecting with bleach solution. Last dose of cerenia was 6 hours ago. Giving 5ml of water/pedialyte solution every hour
Tried melted plain yogurt. Put a little maple syrup on her gums. Blocking all dogs from back yard till I can disinfect it tomorrow
Concerned she might be grieving. No vomit for at least 16 hours and no bloody stools. In fact..no stools at all and no urinating that Ive seen

Based on the fact that you have more than one dog that is ill, it's more likely that she's sick rather than grieving. Dogs don't understand death in the same manner that we do, so they tend to react differently when a member of the pack passes on.

In addition to the cerenia that is being given, famotidine may also help. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

I would give this 2 hours before offering food. I would encourage water consumption before you move on to foods. Most dogs will take fluids willingly before they will move on to foods. You can progress in steps with the following: water to watered down baby food (chicken or turkey flavor) to regular strength baby food to pureed chicken and rice to softened dog food and eventually solid dry/canned dog food. It won't hurt to keep using honey or syrup on their gums, but I would avoid the yogurt and move to baby food instead. Dairy products can cause diarrhea in dogs. If you wish to use a probiotic you can purchase one and mix with the baby food for better results.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Maggie doing today? Did my response above come through on your end?