Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

15 year old female 13 ib dachsund ate 5,000 iu vitamin D…

Customer Question
15 year old female...

15 year old female 13 ib dachsund ate 5,000 iu vitamin D supplement

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name?

Bonnie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bonnie?

Bonnie takes 2.5 ng of prednisone daily for a spinal cord injury. I gave her a teaspoon of 3% hydrogne peroxide, but she did not vomit. It may be because she also takes pepcid with the prednisone, so it might have countered the effect of the hydrogen peroxide. She is acting gine gine=fine

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news, there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, Bonnie should be just fine. You see basically we will start to be concerned when a dog takes more than 4,000 iu of Vitamin D per kg of bodyweight { = 1,811 iu per pound of bodyweight }. So for a 13 kg dog like Bonnie the toxic level would be 23,543 iu.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Bonnie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the vitamin D issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian