Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can you tell me what could be wrong with my daschund? He is…

Customer Question
Can you tell me...

Can you tell me what could be wrong with my daschund? He is bleeding profusely from his penis

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

The dog showed up at our house about months ago, and I don't have any background information on him. There has never been anything wrong with him. Also, he ran up to my car when I got home tonight, so he seems to be in good spirits. However, my bed looks like someone was killed in it. There is a steady drip

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your doxi. Is he intact or neutered? Can you estimate how old he might be?

He is intact, and appears to be around a year or so. But I'm just guessing

Thank you. Acute prostatitis is the most common cause of the bleeding you're seeing. Acute prostatitis is always associated with a bacterial urinary tract infection and so an antibiotic that penetrates into the prostate gland well such as trimethoprim-sulfa or enrofloxacin will need to be prescribed. Castrating these dogs will hasten resolution of the prostatitis. Castration isn't essential and antibiotics alone may suffice but without castration the antibiotic needs to be administered for 4-6 weeks and recrudescence (relapse without cure in between events) is common.

Other causes of such bleeding are urinary calculi (stones), trauma to the penis, and, least common, a clotting disorder unless you're seeing bleeding under the skin and/or from other body orifices. Regretfully, there's nothing to be done at home at this time but he'll need the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Are you still there?

Yes, did you see my reply timestamped 7:06 PM (my time)? If not, please let me know and I'll repost it for you.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian