Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I already described 2Betoryl doses accidentally given

Customer Question
instead 2nd side should have...
I already described 2Betoryl doses accidentally given instead 2nd side should have been gabepentin. Worried about double dose Vetoryl in same day to 15yr old dog
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

An offer for a phone consultation usually will come up a few minutes after starting the chat, please note that it is not from me, it is automatically generated by the site. I am not always able to do phone consultations, but I can always continue chatting with you here.

Vetoryl has a bit of a range on the dosing, do you know about how much Lia weighs?

And what strength are the capsules?

How long ago did you give the Vetoryl doses?

Lia weighs 82 lbs.30:mg .ist @7amsecond dose 4:30pm

Ok thanks for that info - I don't think that will be dangerous but let me double check that amount for her weight-

I have already sent payment info twice

You should be all set - I can't do a phone call but I have the drug info for you-

You shouldn't have any major problems with this, dogs can have up to 3mg twice a day, or 6.7mg once a day (once a day dosing is usually easier but some dogs have better control of symptoms giving twice a day). So for her size, you are still in the safe range.

There is a small chance for stomach upset like reduced appetite, vomiting, or loose stool, as well as potential for mild lethargy short term - if anything seems off tonight or tomorrow it would be safe to skip a dose of the Vetoryl for Tuesday, then get back to her usual dosing schedule on Wednesday.

Does that help?

Thanks waiting ok it she had 30 mg. Twice

Oh and I apologize, above I meant to say 3mg per kg of body weight is ok at the high end (that would be 111mg at a time) - so she hasn't been overdosed.

Oh thanks so much.You think restlessness ,air hunger was from late dose of gabepentin

Many dogs are fine on lower doses, so we usually try to keep things as low as seems to be helping - but an oops like this, no harm done :)

Yes that is more likely to be the gabapentin-

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask-

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family - this is included in your question fee. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not response time or any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Since she late on gabepentin by several hrs can she still get last side at 10 or 11 so back on track for 6am dose or wait till 12 midnight? And possible she may have seuzure since late on second dose

Yes that wouldn't be a problem to give her next gabapentin a little early, that is super safe and a very wide range on the dose - I think you would be less likely to have issues giving a little sooner, vs waiting until later.

Thank you so much

You're very welcome - good luck to you and Lia :)

Thanks again, Merry Christmas!

Yes Merry Christmas to you as well! :)

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian