Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was googling because when brushing my dog today I noticed…

Customer Question
HI I was googling...

HI I was googling because when brushing my dog today I noticed a brownish black spot on her belly that is crusty. There is another spot nearby that is smaller but also has a texture to it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Dusty and 13. She is a red heeler mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dusty?

She eats and drinks normally. She is shedding a lot for the past few weeks but otherwise is her normal self. I can take a photo of the spot if I can send it in...

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I suspect that you're describing epidermal collarettes which usually indicate bacterial skin infection. Can you upload a photo(s) of these spots to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

I am transferring the photo from my phone to my computer now

Thank you. I'll watch for your next post.

Here are two photos...
If you can't see them in the zip I can move them and send again

Thank you. I need you to gently attempt to remove the crusting (scab?) and tell me what you see underneath. You'll need to lightly scrub with peroxide or a chlorhexidine solution such as Hibiclens available in your local drug store.

OK... I have peroxide. I will do it and reply

I'll be here.

Well I tried but only specks or flakes of the spot came off and I couldn't get the scab to come off completely. Turns out as I was looking closer there are 4 - 5 other spots all along her belly up to her rib cage. I guess I need to go to a vet...

These are epidermal collarettes in different stages of healing. The collarettes – roughly circular skin lesions - begin as pustules and then spread outward. The center quiets down and often hyperpigments but the rim can remain actively inflamed and infected. Collarettes can also be seen with fungal infections and autoimmune skin diseases. Treatment at this time should consist of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The antibiotic must be prescribed by an attending vet. You can find the shampoos over the counter where dog supplies are sold. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you. I am scheduling her to be seen locally. Thank you again.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian