Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a beagle puppy that I just got from another family…

Customer Question
I have a beagle...

I have a beagle puppy that I just got from another family this past Tuesday. She was practically starved to death. Now she doesn't want to eat at all she is drinking but doesn't want to eat anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the beagle's name?

She feels like she is running a fever. She has running grey stools that smell really really bad. queenie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

She is up to date on her shots per the other family. But the condition that she was in when I got her makes me wonder for sure. I am not seeing any worms or anything in her stools

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
if she has a blockage can she be treated?
Or have I lost her already and don't know it yet?
12/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Yes if she has a blockage it can be treated, but it must be diagnosed first.

We also need to make sure this is not an infectious disease like parvo. Parvo can occur even in vaccinted puppies ( just like humans can still catch the flu with the flu vaccine, but the disease is usually not as severe).

Given what you are telling me she needs to see a veterinarian immediately. If you can take her now I would do so.

Puppies can go downhill so quickly and if not treated you may lose yours. I sincerely ***** ***** want that to happen, but if you do not get her care you may lose her.

To diagnose a blocakge or infectious disease she needs imaging of her abdomen and blood work as well as a parvo test. Those would be my first diagnostics so we can figure out what we are dealing with. That is the first hurdle here. We need to know what we are fighting to fight it appropriately.

I am so very sorry your new puppy is so sick. The very best thing you can do for Queenie is get her medical attention ASAP.

Can you get her to a veterinarian now?

I cannot examine her to tell you what her chances are here. I wish I could. I know how hard this must be.

Good luck with Queenie I will keep her in my prayers

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian