Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is nursing pups that are 3 weeks old but last night she…

Customer Question
She is nursing pups...

She is nursing pups that are 3 weeks old but last night she got diarrhea and vomiting. She is weak and I am so worried about her. What should I do to help her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No she didn't

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She normalizing eat dog chow and she loves sausages and chicken

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

There has been no new food added to her diet.
We are just feeding her more often since she is nursing.
Right now she is weak not even attending to pups.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

I am following up behind the veterinary technician you were speaking to.

If she is experiencing these symptoms she may be going into milk fever, have an infection or have inflammation with her pancreas/liver/stomach etc.

Given that she is vomiting and has puppies the best recommend i can make is that we need to get her examined and check her blood work and see where her white blood cell counts are, what her calcium levels are and how her organ function is doing. This is something you cannot do from at home. She needs to be taken into a veterinarian. If you have one that you regularly see I would recommend getting her seen ASAP.

With nursing mothers we need to be extremely careful because we have the lives of the puppies in the mix, which i am sure you know.

The very best thing you can do is get her to a veterinarian.

Here is more information on possible conditions

Metritis (Inflammation of the Uterus)
Signs of this condition are as follows:

• fever
  • foul-smelling vaginal discharge
  • listlessness
  • loss of appetite
  • no interest in the puppies
  • decreased milk production
  • vomiting or diarrhea

If these signs are noted, usually in the first day or two postpartum, a veterinarian should be consulted. Your dog may have retained a placenta or have suffered some trauma during delivery. Animals who require assistance with delivery are often predisposed to metritis. She will likely need to be spayed.

Eclampsia
This condition results when the bitch has trouble supporting the calcium demand of lactation; it's a particular concern for toy breed dogs. Calcium supplementation predisposes a bitch to this condition. Usually affected animals are small dogs. They demonstrate:

• nervousness and restlessness
  • no interest in the pups
  • stiff, painful gait

This progresses to:

This condition generally occurs in the first three weeks of lactation and a veterinarian should be consulted immediately.

Mastitis (Inflammation of the Breasts)

Normal nursing glands are soft and enlarged. Diseased glands are red, hard, and painful. In general, the bitch does not act sick; the disease is confined to the mammary tissue. The bitch may be sore and discourage the pups from nursing; however, it is important to keep the pups nursing the affected glands. This is not harmful to the puppies and helps flush out the infected material. Hot packing may be helpful.

Agalactia (Not Producing Milk)

Milk production and secretion ("let down") is essential for the nutrition of the puppies. If the puppies are nursing but it appears that milk is simply not flowing, there are a few simple things to try at home before seeking medical intervention. First, make sure the puppy room is not too warm and that the mother has plenty of food and water and that she seems to be healthy in other respects. If these issues seem controlled, the next step is to determine if milk is being produced and not "let down" or simply not being produced as different hormones are involved in each process. Your veterinarian will need to intercede with treatment for the mother. If the pups cannot so much as get colostrum, that all-important first milk that provides immunity of common infections, they may need to receive plasma transfusions.

Most dogs are excellent mothers and problems are few. The basic rule is to seek veterinary care if she seems to feel sick or if she ceases to care for her young. Puppies nurse until they are about six weeks old and then may be fully separated from their mother. A good age for adoption to a new home is 8 weeks or later.

Good luck with your dog and puppes let me know how they do.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian