Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Chihuahua puppy she is about 7 months old. I have…

Customer Question
I have a Chihuahua...

I have a Chihuahua puppy she is about 7 months old. I have given her a parvo shot last night. Today she is pucking cloudy mucus. And is shitting blood. What else can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Chihuahua's name?

Gidget

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gidget?

She is a small size Chihuahua

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

When did the symptoms begin?

How many parvo vaccines has she had?

Was she exposed to any other dogs with parvo?

She has only had two parvo shots. One when she was 6 weeks only and yesterday. Her brother got his shot yesterday as well. He was sick three days ago. No change in diet

Was he diagnosed with parvo? If not, what symptoms did you witness?

He was throwing up and being lazy and not eating but he did drink water.
She hasn't ate or drank since yesterday

To be properly vaccinated and immune to parvo, puppies need to receive their:

1st vaccine around 6 weeks of age
2nd vaccine around 9 weeks of age
3rd vaccine around 12 weeks of age

Since she had one at 6 weeks and did not have another until yesterday, she is unprotected against parvo. Additionally, if her brother has been symptomatic and she's now symptomatic the risk of parvo is even higher since they haven't been vaccinated per the recommended protocol to prevent parvo. It takes roughly 3 weeks following a vaccine for the body to offer immunity and the puppies need regular boosters to keep stimulating their immune system to provide sustained immunity.

Because they are such a small breed, young and exhibiting severe symptoms, I would recommend that you have them examined and treated immediately.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Gidget doing today?