Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a Lab mix male dog that is going on 14 years old. For…

Customer Question
I have a Lab...

I have a Lab mix male dog that is going on 14 years old. For the past several months, he has been losing weight (he's currently skin and bones from his rib cage back on his body. He has trouble walking, stumbles a lot and sometimes falls over. We are thinking we should put him down but the fees at local vets is prohibitive. I'm wondering if there is a simple humanitarian way we could put him out of his misery here at home .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes. He tore his CCL a few years ago, but had been walking and running pretty well before the onset of whatever is ailing him now. No visible wounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Toby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Toby?

? He seems to eat alright but doesn't put any weight on. He and his brother from the same litter have lived together outside since we got them as pups. He had been an active dog before, chasing balls and running freely when given the chance. That's part of the reason it hurts us to see him suffering.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Same as I described earlier. After some trading last night, I've decided to take Toby to a local vet to have him put down there. Can the $27 fee be refunded?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian