Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 12 year old Australian Shepherd. On Wednesday,

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a 12 year old Australian Shepherd. On Wednesday, he and our younger cattle dog got into the garbage and I ate, no idea what. On Wednesday evening, he started coughing like he was trying to throw up and licking the ground. We let him outside and he would eat grass, then come back in and start the gagging cough again. I have not seen him throw up at all. The hacking has continued, but slowed. On Friday, I noticed he was drooling a lot and he had not been eating. His gums also appeared darker red than normal. I called the local emergency vet clinic and took him in. They performed blood work (all looked good), blood pressure was good, Pancreas test was good. They could not explain the red gums, and suggested it was perhaps irritation or stress on the body. They sent me home with four days of anti nausea pills and good wishes. It is now two days later. Today, I took him for a walk and practically had to drag him through the last half because he only wanted to eat grass. He is still licking the carpet and hacking, and occasionally looks like he is trying to swallow something.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

*he ate, not I ate.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

I cannot think of anything relevant to this situation.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Given what you are describing, I would be concerned that he still has something from the trash in his stomach that he is not able to digest. I worry that the antinausea medication may be masked some symptoms which is why it looked better for awhile and then flared up again. I would recommend taking him in to the vet for another xray and possibly a barium study to make sure he doesn't have a foreign body that isn't moving through the intestines. Sometimes with initial xrays, you can't see where the problem is because it's too early on in the process. I think a follow up xray would be beneficial in his case. In the meantime, you can give Pepcid (0.25mg/lb) tonight to help settle his stomach. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt