Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

After my female heat cycle is over do her nipples remain…

Customer Question
After my female heat...

After my female heat cycle is over do her nipples remain promimnent??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She was in her first cycle of heat and ended week of dec 4h I am noticing her nipples are prominent wondering if that is a symptom of her recently in heat I also have a male but is only 5 months old she couldn't be pregnant can she?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Since the actual heat cycle or estrus is after bleeding this can be normal but it also maybe a false pregnancy if she wasn't exposed to a male. CLICK HERE for more information where dogs can appear pregnant and even nest as if they are going to have puppies!

It is highly unusual for a dgo to have a heat cycle this young but not unheard of. If there is progression of symptoms including abdominal swelling or even milk production it would be best to have your veterinarian differentiate between pregnancy and false pregnancy but it can also be normal development in some dogs after their first heat cycle. If this is the case they likely will get smaller again (not as small as immature) in the next few weeks

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both. I am online another 15 minutes tonight

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian