Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 85 lb dog ate a 325 mg iron tablet. Help. Ivy and 2yrs. 2…

Customer Question
My 85 lb dog...

My 85 lb dog ate a 325 mg iron tablet. Help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Ivy and 2yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Ivy?

2 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ivy?

Healthy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned about Ivy ingesting a 325mg iron tablet.

Iron can be toxic if eaten in large quantities, but the type of iron in the supplement will affect how much Ivy actually absorbs and one pill is unlikely to be enough to be truly toxic. Most supplements do not contain elemental iron, but rather a salt or conjugated form which is significantly less toxic and absorbable than true, elemental iron.

No clinical signs of toxicity are expected in dogs ingesting less than 20 mg/kg of elemental iron. Dogs ingesting between 20 and 60 mg/kg of elemental iron can develop mild clinical signs. If the dog ingests greater than 60 mg/kg of elemental iron, serious clinical signs can develop. An oral dose between 100 and 200 mg/kg is possibly deadly.

If your pup is 85 pounds she is 38.6kgs. If she ingested less than 772mgs (38.6kgs X 20mgs/kg = 772mgs) of elemental iron she will be fine.

If she ate less than 2318mgs of elemental iron then I would expect very mild signs including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of appetite.

If you can tell me the type iron in the pill I can help you figure out how much Ivy truly received.

But odds are given that the pill she ingested only contained 326mgs of iron in total, even if it were all elemental iron, it would not be enough to be toxic for her and she will be fine. You might see mild stomach upset, as iron can make them nauseous even at nontoxic levels. But that should be the extent of her symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian