Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have three dogs, Great Pyrenees, an Australian shepherd…

Customer Question
I have three dogs...

I have three dogs, Great Pyrenees, an Australian shepherd and a pitbull. The pit has really short hair and the other two have long, thick coats. Lately the other two have been biting at their legs, scratching under their bellies & biting at their lower backs to the point where they are raw.. over the last couple days it has gotten so bad so fast! I gave them all really good baths and could not find any fleas. I have two indoor cats as well, the cats and pitbull are totally normal - not scratching what so ever. They are all indoor animals and the dogs only go out to use the bathroom. What could be going on with my two long hair dogs?! I'm so worried.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Great Pyrenees?

I didn't use any flea medication..

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. If you look at the fur in that area by their tail head region / where they are biting at and the fur is thin, do you see pepper like small spots?

There are spots.. it's hard to tell if it's scabs or not.. I can definitely tell the bigger spots are scabs and that they were bleeding

If there are very small pepper like flakes / spots, if you pot some of them on a damp, white Kleenex and smash them with your finger, if they leave a rust like streak - then it is flea dirt. I'm going to be very honest here and say that a flea problem is absolutely the first thing I'd be suspicious of. Some dogs can be flea allergic and react much more to having them on them than others. That area at the tail head is just classic for where they bite and chew a lot.

Attached is a picture of my Australia shepherds leg.. he's been biting at that the same way as his back end.. my Great Pyrenees is doing the same as well. My dogs have had fleas before and when one gets it - they all (to include the cats) get it so bad. Do you believe this is still possibly fleas?

I can't rule out fleas. It is odd that two would be having the biting and chewing if it isn't fleas. Is it just going to affect all of them soon? If it isn't fleas, then an allergy would be the next rule out. Dogs can have food or environmental allergies.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian