Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My shitzu all the sudden is disoriented and is bumping into…

Customer Question
My shitzu all the sudden...
My shitzu all the sudden is disoriented and is bumping into things. He is 9 years old. He seemed fine yesterday but got confused this afternoon.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Can you assess his vision at home by moving your hand towards his face and seeing if he blinks?

He is not

If he doesn't blink when you bring your hand towards his face, that could be a sign that he has gone acutely blind. There are a few possibly causes. One, could be a primary ocular issue like retinal detachment, acute retinal atrophy, glaucoma, etc. It could be a high blood pressure issue causing this, of which there are quite a few primary causes such as cushings, diabetes, heart disease, or primary high blood pressure to name a few. It could also be a neurological issue (an issue in the brain), such as a seizure like episode. In his case, i would recommend taking him to the vet ASAP for bloodwork, xrays, and a blood pressure to try to determine the underlying cause and to differentiate between the causes that I listed above. This might be something more serious than something that can be treated at home or something that can wait until Monday morning to be seen.

He has been pawing and scratching at an ear. Do you think it might be vestibular? Or is he not blinking a call to be concerned

It could be a vestibular issue and that's why he isn't blinking. Is he still running into things? Have you noticed circling or the head tilting to the side?

No- he is calm right now and is chewing a bone. Wouldn't a retinal detachment be painful? He just went to the groomers yesterday but I did not sense any problems after picking him up

A retinal detachment would usually be associated with trauma of sort, so that would be less likely unless he plays with his toys really rough and shakes them a lot.

I think if he is resting comfortably, he can probably wait to be seen tomorrow by the vet.

We will wait until tomorrow- is vestibular syndrome pretty common- he is not tilting his head or wobbly- just bumping into things and confused because he can't tell where he is- not sure we can pay for X-rays, blood work and blood pressure costs. Any suggestions before we go tomorrow?

If it is vestibular, you can try giving Dramamine (2 mg/lb) every hours to help with symptoms.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mendelssohn. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian