Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She acts like she doesn’t want to move. She only wants to…

Customer Question
She acts like she...

She acts like she doesn’t want to move. She only wants to lay down we have tried carrying her outside but she won’t pee. 5 yr old dog has been very healthy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Lola

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lola?

She doesn’t have any health issues normally. She will start Manning when we pick her up like she is very uncomfortable but no vomiting or diarrhea

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Can you check her gum color? Is there anything she could have gotten into that you know of? Do you know if she has the ability to bear weight on her limbs?

Her gums ar pink. She did stand a couple hours ago when we took her outside to see if she would pee. I don't know of anything out of the ordinary that she ate.

That is strange. How about her appetite, is she still eating and drinking ok?

She will eat what we have hand fed her. Crackers. Bread but wont walk to her food. She will drink water when we bring it to her.

I see, in that case, I would worry about the possibility of a heart issue potentially with what you're describing. The sudden onset of weakness and lethargy with no other clinical signs make me worry about her heart. I would take her in to the vet for a check up to be sure. The other possibility would be a toxin of some kind, however, usually that comes with some vomiting or diarrhea, plus you haven't seen her get into anything, so it seems less likely. Either way, I think a trip to the vet is warranted tonight.