Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog finished her first season 2weeks ago and since then…

Customer Question
My dog finished her first...
My dog finished her first season 2weeks ago and since then her nipples have become swollen. Is this normal?? As far as I’m aware she hasn’t been in contact with any male dogs for her to become pregnant unless this happened when she was out of since in our back garden.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Since the actual heat cycle or estrus is after bleeding this can be normal but it also maybe a false pregnancy if she wasn't exposed to a male. CLICK HERE for more information where dogs can appear pregnant and even nest as if they are going to have puppies!

If there is progression of symptoms including abdominal swelling or even milk production it would be best to have your veterinarian differentiate the two but it can also be normal development in some dogs after their first heat cycle. If this is the case they likely will get smaller again (not as small as immature) in the next few weeks

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another hour tonight

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!