Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 16 week old puppy who has not eaten in one and a…

Customer Question
I have a 16...

I have a 16 week old puppy who has not eaten in one and a half days she is vomiting foamy stuff I don't think it's parvo because she is still active but she will not eat and she's getting really skinny and I'm scared for her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

That's really all this going on I've tried to give her some chicken broth to see if that pig do you know put something on her stomach but she threw it up like maybe 15 minutes later she's drinking water and is still using the restroom you know peeing and pooping

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have a puppy that is not eating and has been vomiting. I am sorry to hear about what has been happening. Is there any possibility of swallowing a foreign object, or any change of food recently?

She is always eating stuff and chewing on stuff so that's what my husband and I think is that she possibly swallowed something because she still active I don't think it's parvo which is what my son was worried about she's so active using the restroom drinking water but there's no food or not even chicken broth that will stay on her stomach

Thank you for that information. Dogs with parvovirus can still be active, but some will become significantly less active because of the effects of parvovirus such as dehydration and nausea. Without a test, it is not possible to know for sure if the cause of nausea is from parvovirus or from swallowing an object, parasites, etc. Treatment for nausea is given with a medication and a low fat food. A decent over-the-counter remedy can be given with Pepcid. His dose would be 2.5 mg (i.e. 1/4 tablet) every 12 hours. A low fat food option would consist of things like boiled chicken and white rice. Make sure to feed in very small amounts. He should be examined if the vomiting can not be controlled (i.e. vomits after 24 hours of treatment) or if dehydration is observed.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is your puppy doing?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian