Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Worried about my dog. Hasn't gone pee since Friday. No bowel…

Customer Question
Worried about my dog...

Worried about my dog. Hasn't gone pee since Friday. No bowel movement. Last time outside Friday afternoon. Now absolutely refuses to go outside. Cannot conjole, entice or assist. Throat/neck pain. Cried in pain when jumped in van Friday. Either throat or hind end. Won't move from one place in house. Will eat chopped wet dog food and drink water when brought to her. Still barks when she hears noise and wags tail when she sees me. I stay next to her most of the time in her chair. Took her to local vet Friday: temp 102.9. She put her on broadband antibiotic Cephlexin 500mg twice a day. Still don't understand her actions. Extremely worried. What to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Shes 9 and spayed

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has she been trying to urinate and defecate without success or simply acts like she has no need?

Is she eating and drinking well when it's presented to her or is this decreased?

What breed is she?

Acts like she has no need. Refuses to go out - no messes inside. She eats canned dog food eagerly. Won't eat her dry food. Will drink when brought to her. Maybe a border collie mix.

It's not uncommon for dogs who are painful to refuse to use the bathroom due to discomfort. Basically, they wait until they absolutely must go which increases the risk of accidents in the home. Whatever is causing her to be painful needs to be addressed. The fact that you've called attention to throat/neck pain makes me worry that she may be experiencing muscle spasms. At 9 years of age, arthritis should also be considered as this often makes it very painful for dogs to get into position to urinate or defecate.

Is she on any medication aside from the cephalexin? Did they perform any bloodwork or x-rays at the vet visit Friday?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse