Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 25lb french bulldog grabbed a 1000mg garlic pill and

Customer Question
My 25lb french bulldog...

My 25lb french bulldog grabbed a 1000mg garlic pill and might have eaten it. It was a Spring Valleydietary supplement gel pill, He seems fine but need to know if hes in any danger

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the French Bulldog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the French Bulldog?

Hes not 1 year old yet but basically healthy with a few allergies

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now garlic is actually quite dangerous to dogs. In small doses it can cause GI upset (vomiting and diarrhea) but in large doses like this we'd be worried about the garlic toxin damaging the red blood cells (it can take weeks to do so but can lead to weakness, paling gums, breathing changes and collapse).

Therefore, if he had this in the past 2 hours, we'd want to induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively (up to 8 hours post ingestion), you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall garlic is a potent toxin in dogs and as this is a large dose we need to be proactive. So, the above needs to be our course of action here now. Any struggles to do so and we'd want the local vet to see him with a view to carrying out the above +/- giving IV fluids to reduce risk here.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian