Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What caused my dog of 11yrs to get cushings disease. She…

Customer Question
What caused my dog...

What caused my dog of 11yrs to get cushings disease

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

She started eating profusely and drinking loads of water,then took vetoryl 60mg per day for 2 yrs. Then she blew up with pounds of water ,could not eat or drink.Is this disease genetic?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Abbey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abbey?

She started losing control of back legs but always was happy ,Did not seem to be in pain but had a very hard time breathing and had to be put down.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, Cushing's disease is a condition where dogs overproduce their natural steroid hormones. It is not genetic but instead is caused by a tumor of the adrenal glands (the gland that produces the hormones) or a benign tumor of the pituitary (the gland in the brain that stimulates the adrenal gland). It is quite common in older dogs and it can cause all the signs you have noted but loss of back leg function tends to be due to worsening progressive arthritis or nerve degeneration as part of their aging.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**