Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pit just ate a box of chocolates. I have heard chocolate…

Customer Question
My pit bull just...

My pit bull just ate a box of chocolates. I have heard chocolate is not good for dogs, so I am wondering if I need to do anything or just monitor her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Johnny and she is seven

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Johnny?

She weighs about 45-50 pounds

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Can you please tell me the type of chocolate (milk, dark, white), how long ago, and approximate ounces ingested?

It was a box of Sees assorted Chocolates. About 1 lb -
she ate approximately 30 - 45 minutes ago

With this ingestion, you may see moderate to more symptoms which can include

• Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness
  • Seizures
  • High temperature/ fever
  • Abnormal heart rhythm

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting induced, please get Johnny to a veterinary er to stimulate vomiting but also give activated charcoal to minimize absorption and monitor for the more serious side effects that can occur

I do strongly advise the er but if you elect to monitor at home without vomiting against medical advise typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then your dog should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if this symptom is seen

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today. Please consider the veterinary er with this ingestion quantity and her size if there is no vomiting

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Were you able to induce vomiting?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian