Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was bitten in and about the ear. There are some deep…

Customer Question
My dog was bitten...

My dog was bitten in and about the ear. There are some deep punctures. I have ceftin 500 my tabs. He's 70-75 lbs. How much a dosage can I give him? It says 10mg on here but how can I determine what's 10 from a 500 mg tab?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

Not now. No bleeding. I have triple Ani biotic cream for the wounds and was them out with peroxide.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

He's an old guy..12 yrs. I can see he's in pain so gave him his own carprofen.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Eating and drinking well

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Dosing of that antibiotic for soft tissue infections in dogs is recommended at 4.5 mg per pound of body weight at 12 hour intervals for 7-10 days.

75 lbs x 4.5 mg/lb = 337.5 mg. I would give a full 500 mg twice daily for 7-10 days. It will be safe although antibiotics in its class can cause gastrointestinal disturbances - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thanks so much. I just need to do what I can til his vet opens tomorrow.

You're quite welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian