Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just got a puppy from a stranger, craigs list. it is 9…

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a puppy from a stranger, craigs list. it is 9 weeks old male, 5lbs. mix of terrier and shitzu. it has worms and fleas, i have it topical flea and tick medicine yesterday. found out it had worms last night in its poop. i cant get a hold of the woman who sold it to me so see if she gave it any prior worm medication. i have a trifexis pill from my last dog. I want to give it to him now, i will go to my vet tomorrow but dont want to wait. a worm just fell out of his butt. my worry is if i double dose him...i doubt she gave him any worm medicine. the worm that just fell out his butt was still moving

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

The fleas are ok now...i want to know if its ok to give the trifexis...

Veterinarian's Assistant: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?

Thats it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your new puppy has worms and fleas.

If he was treated with a flea topical yesterday I would not give him Trifexis today. This little one has been through quite a bit already, with a new home, having lots of parasites and getting a flea topical applied yesterday. I would not want to overmedicate him and make him sick. Also with your description I'm not sure the type of worm he has will be treated by the use of Trifexis. Trifexis is good for flea control and hookworm, roundworm, whipworm control, and prevents heartworms. It does NOT kill tapeworms, which is the worm I think he has given your description. He may have other worms too, (some are microscopic and cannot be seen) but your description I think he at least has tapeworms.

If the worms look like long white/tan spaghetti worms they are probably roundworms. They are transmitted by walking through stool contaminated with eggs and then licking their paws. The are easily treated with a medication called pyrantel, which is available in many pet stores. You'll need to be careful to pick up stools right after he defecates for a week or so as any remaining eggs are passed.

Or do they look like small, grains of rice type worms? If so those are tapeworms. They may move and stretch and if they come out as connected segments they may look a little longer. These are picked up by eating an infected flea. They can be passed with stool or on their own. Sometimes we see them stuck on the hair coat around the anus. They cannot be passed directly from one animal to another or to you, tapeworms need to be ingested by the intermediate host (flea or rodent) and then when the intermediate host is eaten the animal that eats the intermediate host gets infected.
If you don't get rid of all the fleas though they will continue to be a problem as he will continue to reinfest himself and if you have other digs and the other dogs get fleas and ingest them they will end up with tapeworms too. Tapeworms are easily treated with a medication called Praziquantal.
In short I would put the worms in a baggie and take them with you to his veterinarian tomorrow, along with a fresh stool sample. Then we can determine what medication is safe and appropriate for him.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian