Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has licked a spot on his stomach. He takes Trifexis and…

Customer Question
He has licked a...

He has licked a spot on his stomach. He takes Trifexis and doesn’t have any fleas that I know of. Is there something I can put on it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Luigi is approximately 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luigi?

No. He is healthy and up to date with all shots

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is the area raw?

Any discharge/pus?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Oh dear, that is a shame Luigi doesn't feel like letting me see what is there.

Still if he is licking the area and its possibly raw, we can start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on your wee one to protect this.

As well, since these rashes can often be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, as long as this is not severe nor has pimples, pustules, crusting, or scabs; we can try the above. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or if this doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by your vet as systemic/oral treatment may be needed to clear this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

There are pictures of his licked spot

Hello again,

Ah, that is a good chap for us. And that does look like quite a mild inflammation and early stage dermatitis. so, we can use the above to see if we can just get this settled for him.

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

is there something I can do today since vet is not open until tomorrow?

Absolutely and I did outline our treatment plan for this lesion above. Just in case you cannot see it I will repost now:

******************

If he is licking the area and its possibly raw, we can start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on your wee one to protect this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Thank you very much. I do appreciate it.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian