Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I came home from work friday evening and totally out of

Customer Question
I came home from...

I came home from work friday evening and totally out of character all the blankets were pulled off the beds and couch and he didn't meet me at the gate outside. Next day he had very watery diareah. but he had an appetite. today , no appetite and is nothing but sleeping? He is on Gabapentin for joint pain and Soloxine/thyroxine for his thyroid. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

It's Cooper and he is 4 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Cooper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cooper?

We walk twice a day for at least an hour at a time, he has no interest in going outside today

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What color was the diarrhea?

Any gagging, drooling or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

His stool is chocolate brown gums are pink and moist, no gagging or vommiting. His belly is fine. And I am very careful about leaving anything around as he is an eating machine. But is very good about getting into stuff. I can't think of anything he would have eaten. And it's just him and I in the house so there's no one else to leave anything around

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see Cooper hasn't those more urgent signs I asked about and that he isn't likely to have eaten something worrisome. Still given this watery diarrhea, we'd be wary that all his signs may be secondary to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion.

With this in mind, we would want to start some supportive care to ease his signs and see if we can get him feeling better. To start, we can tempt him with a bland diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Furthermore, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies and if he isn't willing to eat a bland diet, try this first then offering food as it will coat the gut if he has a bit of nausea as well. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk in these situations, do keep an eye on his hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, Cooper's signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive now. If he cannot doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with antibiotics +/- fluids to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian