Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog urinated after going outside. After going outside to…

Customer Question
Dog urinated after going...

Dog urinated after going outside

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

After going outside to potty he comes in and urinated on kitchen floor just started doing it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Dhabi 8-10 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dhabi?

His skin is dry

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Dhabi has been urinating inside the house lately. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Is he urinating in the same place inside the house? Is it by an exterior door (i.e. going to the outside)? Any other problems with random vocalization / barking or being forgetful such as going to the wrong side of the door, forgetting where his food bowl is located, etc.?

Pees in 2 places in my kitchen he knows where his food is and water

Thank you for that information. Dogs can lose house training for various reasons. The first thing is to make sure it is not for a medical reason such as from a urinary tract infection, crystals in the urine, or neoplasia. Urinary tract pain can result in an urge to urinate, which can make it so they break normal house training rules. It can also be from cognitive dysfunction associated with older age. Behavioral reasons can be from marking a territory, especially if there are other animals or perceived threats in the house, or if the location is near an outside door where there may be animals outside. If those issues have been addressed and nothing has been found then you can safely work towards retraining him to obey normal bathroom rules. For instance, putting his food bowls in the locations he has been urinating is one useful measure you can utilize to train him because dogs will typically not urinate in the same location as their food. Using anti-anxiety treatments such as Dog Appeasing Pheromone, essential oil diffusers, or prescription medication can also be helpful. At this point, if it is possible to keep him out of the kitchen then that will avoid the smells he is associating with urinating while you are retraining his bathroom skills. Have him go outside to use the bathroom every 1-2 hours and reward positively with treats and praise when he does it. He can later be allowed back in the kitchen under supervision. Eventually, if no accidents occur, the behavior should stop and be replaced with a normal bathroom behavior.

Just checking in. How is Dhabi doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian