Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has blood in her urine. She didn't eat this

Customer Question
She has blood in...

She has blood in her urine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

She didn't eat this morning..usually a chow hound

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the chow's name and age?

Dog..put bull/boxer mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the chow?

10 yrs olf

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Does she seem to need to pass urine more often?

Is she passing large or small amounts when she goes?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

not really..her urine has a very strong smell ..ammonia
I notice that she has peed 4 times this morning..blood in each one
pink and moust
she is very ticklish..when ever you touch scratch any part of her trunk area..she gets her leg moving in rotation
she is a pit bull/boxer mix..her name is ***** ***** a 10 year old dog...
rescue

Hello again,

Now the most common cause of blood appearing in urine and a strong odor like this would be due to a urinary tract infection (UTI). Further to this, we can also see fresh blood in the urine of dogs with urinary crystal troubles, bladder stones, kidney infections, and bladder tumors (a concern with older age). As well, we can blood from the reproductive tract mix with the urine in cases of uterine infections like pyometras (less likely if she is spayed).

Now if we focus on the most common cause, then we do need to consider infection within the urinary tract. This can be quite common in female dogs and often arises from E.coli (a normal GI bacteria) gaining access to the bladder by fecal contamination of the female genitalia. If you have ever had cystitis, you will know that it is not a pleasant infection to have. Some dogs will need to pass urine more often, but this can be masked in older dogs if they do have underlying health issues (ie reduced kidney or liver function, diabetes, Cushing's disease, etc) lurking. So, those would be a bit of a concern here too.

To give her some relief at the moment, you can try to increase her urine dilution via increasing her fluid intake. This can be achieved by tempting her to drink or you can offer wet food, (as this is 35% water) to sneak some water into her system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable. And if her appetite is depressed, you can try her with a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free).

Now while these urine dilution steps will help flush out bacteria and soothe that inflamed bladder, it often won't clear the infection on its own. Therefore, in her case, I would advise that is prudent for her to see her vet (urgently, though not an emergency situation). If possible, especially since crystals in the urine can cause underlying cystitis infections and a problem itself, you should try and collect a urine sample (that can be a challenge since she is only producing small volumes). The vet will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes). If infection is found, the vet will also be able to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain relief to make her comfortable and clear the infection.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for this blood in her urine. That said, the most common reason will be a bladder infection. Therefore, do consider increasing her fluid intake and monitoring her, but also collecting a urine sample and getting her checked as soon as her vet is open. They can examine her and test the urine sample to rule out those other concerns for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )

thank you

You are very welcome, my dear.

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian