Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pug takes rimadyl and benadryl(for allergies). He got…

Customer Question
My pug takes rimadyl and...
My pug takes rimadyl and benadryl(for allergies). He got gabapentin, methocarbamol, and prednisone this morning that my other pug takes. Will he be okay with all of these in system or do I need to take him in vet?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

My only concern is having a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as Rimadyl on board at the same time as a steroid such as prednisone. That's the ticket for gastrointestinal ulceration. Hopefully a one-time dosing of the two together won't be harmful. Watch for signs of gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - and if they should arise, I would begin dosing him with an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg per pound of body weight at 12 hour intervals for three days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you. Even if he gets stomach issues that would be a momentarily correct? I'm assuming he will be fine after it passes then

Correct, any issues should be transient with such a one-off ingestion. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian