Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is it possible that something at the vet can make a dog

Customer Question
Is it possible that...

Is it possible that something at the vet can make a dog sick? 2 weeks ago I was at my vet on sat checking in a torn ACL the Sunday morning my dog started with diarrhea and vomiting (was treated by Er vet) then yesterday went to vet with another ACL f/u and this morning bloody diarrhea and vomiting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No same food we don’t even do treats

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Mia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mia?

She is under 7lbs shitzu maltese. The 1st time she was at the end of meds for the inflammation with the acl

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that Mia is not feeling well. It is unlikely that this is caused by something that she has caught at your vets. It is more likely that sweet Mia is under a great amount of stress from the trips to the vet or the pain from her condition which will cause a digestive disturbance. It is also possible that the anti inflammatory medications can easily cause a digestive disturbance especially if given on an empty stomach. I am hoping that your vet has given the proper treatment for this digestive issue. It is best probably to stop the NSAIDS that she was on to be sure that they were not causing this disturbance. Mia's breed is very susceptable to stress which, as I said, can cause this digestive issue.

Pepcid AC can be given at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs to help this disturbance if your vet has not run any tests. Also, fasting Mia for 24 hrs can help calm down her digestive tract while the medication is working. after the fast, feed a small meal of rice and boiled chicken which is a bland diet and will help her past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

She hasn’t been on any meds since the 1st bout and the vet yesterday doesn’t think she is in any pain anymore. So I guess stress it is. I will try the Pepcid and then call my vet in the am if it gets worse. I’ve already taken up her food when I saw the 1st bout of diarrhea. Thanks

Good for you...that is a good plan...chances are good that sweet Mia will get past this very soon.