Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had been diagnosed with dry eye. Optimmune was

Customer Question
My dog had been...

My dog had been diagnosed with dry eye. Optimmune was prescribed. This didn't agree with her and her eyes baca e red and inflamed , my vet is looking into Tacrolimus, she said if her wholesaler doesn't supply it she will give me a prescription, in the meantime. D to save time I have been looking as to where I would get it with the prescription, as of yet I ca t find anywhere in the UK do you know of any suppliers and what is your experience if any with this product please ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

She has had the symptoms since the 12 to of November , I went to the vets and was prescribed drops. They worked for a few days send then got worse so I went back again. Again the drops worked for a few days then stopped I asked to see my usual vet who prescribed Maxitrol. This a,so worked for. Few days then stopped. I went back and a test was performed for dry eye. The results where 0 I. The left eye and 8 in the right. I was told to continue her with the Maxitrol and start Optimmune , she was worse the next day and we thought it was. Bad reaction to the Maxitrol so that was stopped I. Ontinued with the Optimmune and after. Few more days of the condition worsening this to was stopped In the meantime I was told to use Optrex intensive drops for dry eye This has worked really well , the eye opens and she seems more comfortable but I am having to use these drops every. Two hours ... Hence the suggestion of the Tacrolimus..I have an appointment booked for Tuesday morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The Optrex eye drops are helping but of course this doesn't save the problem

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your dog has dry eye. I have very good look with Tacrolimus for this condition. I "googled" "tacrolimus UK" and came up with many sites where you can get it; the brand name is "Protopic".

Here in the US we have compounding veterinary pharmacies where we can order it. Ask your veterinarian if he or she works with a compounding pharmacy.

Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you!

Please let me know if this was helpful or if you have any other questions.