Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

3 week ago my playful 9 month German shepherd pup, Lucky,

Customer Question
Hi... 3 week ago my...
Hi... 3 week ago my playful 9 month German shepherd pup, Lucky, got injured by a fall no more than 1.5ft high. After which for 3 days he could barely use his back legs. We put him on 0 excercise other than to relieve himself. Then 3rd day suddenly he went to lift himself, twisted his spine and dislocated a vertebra( as diagnosed later by vet). Since then he is fully bedridden. Cannot use his back legs at all. Just lifts his torso. He loses and regains pain perception it appears.We live in small town in India. No possibility of surgery xray mri hydrotherapy or vet chiropractor/neurologist. Our local vet said because his spine got bent (as we can feel the bulge when we run or hand along his spine at last thoracic and first lumbar point) he mostly damaged his peripheral nerves not his spinal cord.As in the disc is not pinching his spinal cord which sounds like good news but I keep wondering why he can't move his back legs. We are doing physiotherapy by ourselves everyday 2 to 3 times.In terms of progress well he seems to be out of shock so he is in good mood, barking eating well etc. He can now lift more than his torso , almost can sit with his front legs straight but we dont allow him to until his brace arrives as he may further damage his back.He is on steroids now after 3 weeks of Hydroxocobalamin and MethylcobalThe first week after the injury he had excellent pain perception in back legs. But one days after a physio session with the Physicians assistant where he tried to make him sit, he lost most pain perception. It appears very feeble now.Like if we pinch his toes he sometimes reacts like he can feel feeble sensation. He indicates it by lightly squeaking or moving his whole body away or pupils dilating and sometimes he doesn't react at all especially if he's sleeping. His most non sensitive part is below the knees. That's where he lost most deep pain perception.He does have more sensation in his thighs and hips and lower back. When we pinch his thigh muscles he almost always looks back and growls. He definitely has sensation below the point of injury on the spine. All of his spinal length has sensation .. even his tail.He can fully feel his bladder too. When I catheter him he yelps if it hurts. As the tube goes in he can feel and sometimes it hurts.As far as bladder control go he mostly holds his pee in until he can't hold it any longer. Someone's he indicates to me he needs to pee by crying a lot. Sometimes he purposely pees as I can see instead of leaking drops he forcefully squirts small jets of pee. Does it indicate his bladder muscles are working?Please advise:
1. Determination of deep pain perception. ( he sometimes reacts and sometimes he doesn't). He almost always has reflex movements. But we are confused which stage he is at and his chances of recovery.2. Is it true that if his spinal cord would have irreparably injured then he wouldn't have any sensation below the point of injury? His bladder included?If above is true will his nerves regenerate?Please can you explain why sensation is absent below knees but not thighs hips and spine?3. Is it normal for deep pain perception to come and go sporadically during healing time?I'm sorry I'm unable to upload videos because of file size limitations
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am so sorry to hear what happened to Lucky. This is very odd in such a young dog.

Have you have a consult with a veterinary neurology specialist? That might be best since his symptoms are so bad and he is so young.
Deep pain perception means that

Having ​eep pain perception means that when you pinch a toe, he knows you are doing it. Just drawing back the limb is a reflex; he has to cry out, or look at his foot or in some way let you know that he knows he feels it.

If his spinal cord were irreparably injured, he should not have function of the nerves that leave the spinal cord below that point. You can never say if the damage is irreparable; I have seen dogs walk that were given no hope of recovery, but it can take months.

If he has any sensation in any part of his legs, the damage could be very low in the spinal cord, or in the legs themselves.

If this were my own dog, I would be consulting a neurologist.

If he has any true deep pain response, then there is some function of the spinal cord.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Sorry, I just see now that you can't get to a neurologist.

He is young, if there is a fracture of the displaced vertebra, he might improve with time, but it could be 6 months. It is also possible that the damage will partially or never heal. Only an MRI could tell you that.