Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had mast cell tumors removed from her back right leg…

Customer Question
My dog had mast...

My dog had mast cell tumors removed from her back right leg on Thursday. The incision is about 7” long. She has been fine until 2 am this morning when she started throwing up every hour.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

This is her second surgery in the same area on her leg. There were no complications with the first surgery done 2 years ago.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. How does her incision look? Any bruising, swelling, or drainage? Did she go home on any medication?For the vomiting, I would start her on some Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for 2 days. This is an antacid, but it can counteract some of the nausea some dogs will have with mast cell tumor surgery. I would also feed her a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice for the next 3-4 days to help with the nausea. You can give her some Pedialyte to keep her well hydrated. If she does not improve by mid morning, I would take her in to the emergency vet for evaluation.
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian