Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has currently been limping for the past day and a…

Customer Question
My dog has currently...

My dog has currently been limping for the past day and a half.. my Mum accidentally stood on his leg yesterday and he yelped quite loudly.. he seemed okay but then about 5-10 minutes later he was limping but then about an hour later he was okay but then most of today he has been limping and I am not sure what to do.. he is constantly licking his paw and leg, he is always putting his sore leg on me making sure I’m rubbing it at all times..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No.. nothing that I can think of.. is his breed or anything important?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please?

Regretfully, it's very difficult for me to assess injury from afar. If your dog remained lame for more than a few days in spite of receiving an analgesic, his vet would need to examine that leg for you. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 20 mg per kg of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or paracetimol which can be dosed at 15 mg per kg of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian