Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am not sure if he ate some kind of grass out side she was…

Customer Question
I am not sure...

I am not sure if he ate some kind of grass out side she was ok all day till after supper time when we put him out. he had a hacking kind of cough when he came in like he got something stuck in his throat, but nothing there . he brought up a little bit of white foam. but that stopped .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is just a year old . he is a shih Tzu

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Smokey?

He burp for awhile.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- So he is no longer hacking?

2- Is he eating or drinking?

3- Any other symptoms?

he is no longer hacking , yes he ate and drink some water.
that is ok I am going to take him to our vet tomorrow. he seems fine for now. I think it was just gas he had.

Friend, when a dog is hacking you are right to suspect it could have been debris like a piece of grass in his upper airway. Or, it could be the symptom of an upper respiratory infection, tracheal collapse, etc. to name a few causes. If he is no longer hacking is a good sign. If he continues to hack you can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy. Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter