Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 22 pound maltipoo jumped up and grabbed my mail order RX…

Customer Question
My 22 pound maltipoo jumped...
My 22 pound maltipoo jumped up and grabbed my mail order RX of Cymbalts and chewed through packaging, plastic caps and had the pills all over the sofa. I was able to account for 89 of the 90 capsules. One is missing so do not know if he swallowed it or not. The strength is 60 mg.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog ate this medication.

How long ago did your dog eat the cybalta?

If he did eat the one capsule it was maybe half an hour ago

I see. That dose could potentially cause some problems, however it is in a high dosing range if we were to use it on a dog.

To be safe, I would induce vomiting. Your dog may be fine without that, but I would play it safe.

To induce vomiting, I would give 3 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide orally. If there is no vomiting after 10 minutes, give another 3 teaspoon dose. If he vomits up, it should remove any threat of the medication. If there is no vomiting after 20 minutes, your options are to monitor for any potential issue (excitement, restlessness, GI upset) or head to an emergency vet for them to induce vomiting. The medication should not be life threatening at this amount.

Some dogs can develop tremors or seizures with this medication, but typically it is at a much higher dose. I suspect you may just see excitement and agitation if you are unable to induce vomiting, but I would try to get it out to be safe.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian