Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Pom has an abscessed tooth, he has had this before but…

Customer Question
My Pom has an abscessed...
My Pom has an abscessed tooth, he has had this before but his Vet is on vacation. Can I get antibiotics for him? He can’t eat because of the pain.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

I have human amoxicillin on hand

Vets are not allowed to prescribe antibiotics without seeing the pet. We could get in serious trouble. You could take him to another vet and they could prescribe an antibiotic.

Amoxicillin is not effective on mouth bacteria. It can help with mild upper respiratory tract infection.

For an abscessed tooth, Clindamycin is a good choice of antibiotic.

You can give human aspirin for pain as long as he is not on other medications and he is eating well. It has to be given with food.

5 mg of aspirin per each pound of dog every 12 hours with a meal.

You can take some over the counter 3% hydrogen peroxide, on a q-tip, and dab that around the gum line over the tooth to kill some of the bacteria. Do that twice a day.

If he is really in distress, the emergency clinic is open 24-7. Hopefully there would just be an exam fee and the antibiotic fee.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Not satisfied, do not charge $ $28 for that answer

Okay, My apologies. I did my best.

I will let customer service know you were not happy with my answer.

I hope he feels better soon and you have a wonderful holiday season.