Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14 year old toy poodle has been slowing down the last few…

Customer Question
My 14 year old...

My 14 year old toy poodle has been slowing down the last few months. My kids have all left the home recently. Her favorite spot to nap is my bedroom closet and in the last week she stays there all the time. When we bring her out she will eat and drink but wants to go back in the closet. She does not appear to want to go on her beloved walks. When we take her to walk anyway she poos and pees as normal. She walks slower and pants although its cool. She shakes at times and refuses to use the stairs. Some days this week she seemed much better and then the next is worse. Yesterday I gave her hemp oil. Within 15 mins, she came out of the closet and down the stairs eating a whole plate of food. Today I did the same and she would not come out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound. no limping. no event. She is with one of us at all times out of the house.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the poodle's name?

Lucy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

She only has two teeth left. She eats Blue buffalo canned food. She used to run with us up to 4 miles with regularity. Currently her usual "long" walk is two miles. The vet has always commentedthat she has good hips for a poodle.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When did Lucy last have bloodwork performed?

Is she on any medication at this time aside from the hemp oil?

Her last dental procedure was last blood work. All normal. No medications.

Excellent. And has your vet performed any diagnostics on her joints, such as x-rays?

Never had any reason/ health issues other than teeth cleaning/ extraction.

Due to the fact that she's being reclusive, has a lack of interest in her normal activities and so forth I do think it would be wise to schedule an examination for her and talk to your vet about diagnostics. If bloodwork was more than a few months back, your vet may wish to repeat this bloodwork to ensure that no changes have occurred which may have resulted in her feeling unwell such as liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, pancreatitis, etc. Your vet may also wish to perform x-rays for good measure to ensure that she is not battling any arthritis or similar condition which might leave her uncomfortable and less enthusiastic about her day-to-day activities. I don't think the hemp oil will harm her but if it's not giving her any relief of symptoms you'll want to seek out determining if there is something underlying that needs to be addressed medically.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse