Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She has had diarrhea since last evening. does not seem to…

Customer Question
She has had diarrhea...

She has had diarrhea since last evening. does not seem to impact energy level and she is drinking. I got a stool sample but my vet is not open until Monday. Can she have Imodeum (not sure how to spell it)? She still wants food but is has gas.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Roxy 6yrs red lab weighs 62 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Roxy?

6 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

Did you get weight and breed? She is a very active dog. We were on vacation last week and she was boarded at a very reputable facility. we got home on Wed. night. Diarrhea did not start until Friday about 4 pm

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

OK

Thank you for your question. That is good that Roxy is not bothered by the diarrhea that she's having. With her not being down and her drinking normally and hopefully eating well, a huge suspicion for sudden onset of diarrhea is dietary indiscretion. They eat something that just really upsets the lower intestinal tract. Sometimes it is a new food, a new treat, or counter surfing. What actually works really well for these cases at home is to feed them a bland diet for a couple days to let the intestinal tract rest. The easiest one to prepare is 1/3 boiled chicken with 2/3 boiled rice fed at about 1 cup per 20-30 pounds twice a day.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian