Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13yr old chihuahua is scheduled for a dental cleaning and…

My 13yr old chihuahua is...
My 13yr old chihuahua is scheduled for a dental cleaning and I am concerned about her going under anesthesia at this age.
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has Lilly every gone under anesthesia before?

Not that I know of. I adopted her 7 yrs ago so I don’t know of any history in that regard

Okay thanks for the additional information. Has she ever had bloodwork done? I understand your concern for anesthesia at her age. Most dogs that have dental performed tend to be older because that is when they have dental issues. Usually I check the bloodwork and check for any medical conditions such as a heart condition. If those come back normal majority of the cases they do well with the procedure.

She had blood work done about 3 months ago and it showed her liver enzymes were elevated and they put her on some medicine for a month but haven’t had it rechecked yet.

Okay do you remember how elevated the liver enzymes were? Going under anesthesia could be a concern depending on how high the liver enzymes are. It usually can lead to a slower recovery from anesthesia. A recheck labwork probably would be best before the dental procedure to find out if it is safe enough for her to go under.

Ya I’m not sure. I think I will hold off until I get recent blood work done. Thank you for your help

No problem Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Tricia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian