Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been vomiting a lot these last few days (2-3

Customer Question
days). The first day he...
My dog has been vomiting a lot these last few days (2-3 days). The first day he was vomitting his food whole and clear liquid. I haven’t changed anything in his diet so it was sudden. Then the next day he was just fine and didn’t vomit. But today he vomitted a couple of times and it’s a sort if sticky liquid. After he started vomiting I gave him maybe 6-8 hours without food before eating to let his stomach settle and gave him a small portion of chicken. And it’s pretty late at night, but he hasn’t eaten in 6 hours and threw up a bit of yellow liquid. He is otherwise still drinking water and eating. And he is still acting normally. Not sure what is happening.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He does have a problem of eating his food really fast. I just ordered a slow feeder bowl in hopes that it’ll help. But I’m just not sure what’s causing the vomiting.
12/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

he can keep the water down just fine.
His gums have pigmentation but they look pink and moist.
I don’t believe he has anything wrong with his belly. He frequently asks for tummy scratches and rubs even though he’s been vomiting.
And I think that he had eaten a beef bone the day he started vomiting

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see that Chico's gums look normal and that he is comfortable as those exclude some of our more severe worries. Though if he was able to eat any of that bone then there would be a worry that a shard could be causing his signs. Of course, we could also see these signs secondary to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can get him feeling better. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can give small meals of chicken with rice. Or we can also use protein sources like boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk in these situations, do keep an eye on his hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns and if he had that bone the day before his signs started, we'd be very suspicious it may be causing some trouble as it passes. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive now. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet to make sure we have no partial blockage here or bit of bone in the stomach. Of course, they can check for those other concerns at the same time. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I don’t quite understand the dosages for Pepcid. “0.25 to 0.5mg per pound”? Does per pound mean his weight?

Hi again,

Yes, it is a weight based dose as our dogs vary in size much more than people do. If you tell me what he weighs, I will work the dose out for you.

Dr. B.